Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Diabetes Blog Week -- Find a Friend


7148526121_1c16b0db45_o.gif



It seems the most popular thing about Diabetes Blog Week is that it helps us find blogs we weren’t reading yet and connect with some new blog friends.  With that in mind, let’s kick off Diabetes Blog Week by making some new connections.  Think about the d-blogs you read that you think we may not know about and introduce us to one that you love!!  Let’s all find a new friend today!


I discovered the DOC thanks to Ellen Ullman (@curet1diabetes) and am forever thankful for her introduction. I love this community and the overwhelming support it offers! She has a website (not really a blog by conventional standards) with many helpful links.


As far as the link list goes, I must give a shout out to Julie (@persinable)!

I really enjoy Julie's writing and her perspective as a mother of a diabetic. I know there are many wonderful blogs written by parents of diabetic children, but her struck a chord with me and I find myself reading post after post despite a to-do list screaming at me in the background. 
I don't even have children yet, but as a diabetic diagnosed at age 9 I was often acutely aware of the effect my diagnosis had on my parents. I know I kept a lot to myself in an effort to shield them from unnecessary pain.  I've discovered that reading her posts allows me to step into my parents' shoes for a few minutes, and although I often find it heartbreaking, it provides a certain catharsis. 
Writing about her son's thoughts and experiences remind me of my own --- feelings that I haven't allowed myself to touch on for a while. It makes me wonder what my own mother might have blogged about had it been an option for her almost 20 years ago.

Thank you, Julie, for offering an unfiltered view into your life! Many can and will learn from you. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you SO much, Shara! Your kind words mean so much!!

    ReplyDelete